Over the years, the rapid evolvement and capabilities of modern mobile devices have dramatically increased the performance and functionality of our smart devices.
With this comes an increase in the power requirements these devices need to carry out their functions. This has spurred manufacturers to develop even better battery technology.
And with this, charging technology has changed too. GaN chargers are the latest type of charger developed in recent years. These chargers are more intelligent, more powerful and more efficient. So read on to find out the best GaN charger available you can buy right now.
What is a GaN Charger?
If you've browsed through the latest USB fast chargers online, you've probably come across this acronym.
GaN is short for gallium nitride and is a material that has since recently been used to manufacture semiconductors.
It was first used back in the 1990s for LEDs. GaN is replacing silicon as a component in fast chargers is that GaN is better at conducting electrical current than silicon.
It is more efficient at transferring power, and this higher efficiency means fewer components are required. In addition, because GaN is more efficient at transferring current, less energy is lost through heat, which means more power is going directly where it should—to your device's battery.
GaN chargers are now everywhere, and this is precisely the type of modern charger you need for fast and efficient charging of your smartphone, iPad or any other USB-charged device.
How Does a GaN Charger Work?
Modern-day GaN chargers are almost like computers, with chipboards that intelligently process information from your device and adjust current based on its charging needs—and the charging requirements of other connected devices—if it's a multi-port charger.
As GaN chargers are more efficient at what they do and generate less heat, fewer components are needed, which means that GaN chargers are typically smaller than their stock counterparts.
From a scientific standpoint, all semiconductors have a bandgap. A bandgap is an energy range where no electrons can exist, and this is related to how well a material can conduct electricity.
Gallium nitride's bandgap is 3.4eV, which is more comprehensive than silicon's band gap of 1.12eV. This wider bandgap means GaN is capable of not only higher efficiency in energy transfer, but it can sustain higher voltages and heat than silicon.
The Efficient Power Conversion website says that GaN can conduct electrons 1,000 times more efficiently than silicon. Wow!
Is a GaN Charger Safe?
While there is often consumer concern when a new technology emerges regarding its safety, GaN is safer than silicon. It generates less heat, can carry higher voltages and is more efficient with how it handles energy. In short, who wouldn't want a GaN charger?
GaN chargers feature all the built-in safety aspects that older chargers have. In addition, as they intelligently distribute current based on a device's charging status and battery level, there is no chance of overcharging or overcurrent.
Are GaN Chargers Compatible with Multiple Devices?
As virtually all GaN chargers now use USB-C, any device powered by USB-C can be charged with a GaN charger. Modern chargers are intelligent devices and will control the current based on a connected device's demands. So, a GaN charger is compatible with any device that can connect to it.
Is a GaN Charger Worth It?
It is thought that the entire electronics industry will migrate to GaN. Simply put, it does everything better than silicon. Chargers using GaN are smaller, more powerful, more efficient and produce less heat than contemporary chargers using silicon components.
You can even get multi-port chargers that are capable of charging your phone, tablet and laptop at the same time. A single GaN charger can replace multiple charging bricks used to charge your devices individually. It's a win-win situation, and who doesn't want that?
The Best GaN Charger You Should Own
Introducing two of Kovol's latest GaN chargers:
- 61W PD Super-Fast Charging: Can fast charge your MacBook Pro 13" up to 50% in just 45mins, providing longer battery life and less charging time than a standard charger.
- 50% smaller with GaN Tech: Powered by GaN semiconductors, it improves charging efficiency while reducing the charger's size to 50% smaller than original 61W chargers, with foldable prongs ultra-compact.
- 100W PD Cable Included: The 6.6ft USB-C to USB-C cable features E-mark chips and can deliver up to 100W of power, allowing you to charge your USB-C device or transfer documents/data even at a distance.
- Wide Compatibility: Integrated with PD 3.0 fast-charging protocols, this USB-C GaN charger is widely compatible with MacBook Pro/MacBook Air, iPad Pro/Air/Mini, iPhone 13/12 and more. Plus, 25W PPS supports ultra-fast charging for all Galaxy cellphones.
- All-round Safety: Equipped with Kovol's exclusive charging technology, multiple protection features, and superior heat dissipation, you can rest assured that your devices are in safe hands.
- 65W PD Fast Charging: Charge a single MacBook Pro 15.4" from 0–100% in just 2 hours at full 65W or fast charge an iPhone 13 from 0–50% in 30 minutes at 20W power or higher.
- Simultaneous High-Speed Charging: Dual USB-C ports (65W total output) supports simultaneous fast-charging of your MacBook Air (45W) and iPhone (20W).
- 4-in-1 Charger: This GaN charger enables you to power 4 devices at the same time. Meanwhile, intelligent power allocation supplies optimal charging for each device.
- Greater with GaN Tech: Powered by GaN semiconductors, it's a comparatively small size of 2.99 "x1.61" x1.61" and provides superior heat dissipation and ultra-efficient charging to all connected devices.
- Universal Compatibility: PD port with 25W PPS supports ultra-fast charging of Galaxy S21/Note 20. Plus, this USB-C desktop charger features PD 3.0 and QC 3.0 charging technologies for dynamic, quick charging of any compatible device.
- Complete Safety: Equipped with Kovol's exclusive Q-Pulse charging tech and multiple protection features, problems such as short-circuit, overcurrent, and other issues are eliminated.
Order with Total Confidence
Kovol offers 100% buyer confidence by providing a 24-month warranty for orders made directly on Kovol.
More and more manufacturers, including Apple (from iPhone 12 onwards), have announced they will no longer provide a charging adaptor in the box. Thus, it's essential to make sure you own a solid charger from a dedicated manufacturer capable of meeting all your devices' charging needs. Look no further than the above two models from Kovol for all your fast-charging needs!