Apple’s newest iPhone is here. Read on for all the details.
As expected before the launch of the iPhone 13, the usual leaks were doing the rounds on the internet about what new changes and upgrades Apple will implement in their latest and greatest creation. As it turns out, the information was pretty accurate regarding aesthetic details such as the smaller notch, camera module and button placements.
Major upgrades include brighter displays, faster A15 chips, camera overhauls, improved battery life and a storage option up to 1TB on Pro and Pro Max models.
In America, prices for the new iPhone 13 mini start at $699, with the standard iPhone 13 model set at $799, the Pro and Pro Max models are set at $999 and $1099, respectively. Over in the U.K. prices are correspondingly set at £679/£779/£949/£1049 for the 4 different models.
iPhone 13/iPhone 13 Mini:
- iPhone 13 and iPhone 13 mini models come with storage options of 128/256/512GB.
- The notch of the new iPhone 13 is 20% smaller than the iPhone 12.
- The camera module has changed and now features a diagonal layout that lets in 40% more light.
- The iPhone 13 and iPhone 13 mini are available in five new colors: pink, blue, midnight, starlight and Product Red.
- The displays on the iPhone 13 and iPhone 13 mini are 28% brighter, with 800 nits of brightness.
- A new cinematic video mode that offers movie-like video recording can change focus as the subject moves.
- Better 5G connectivity
- 1.5 hours of more battery life for the iPhone 13 Mini, and 2.5 hours for the iPhone 13.
iPhone 13 Pro/iPhone 13 Pro Max
- iPhone 13 Pro and iPhone 13 Pro Max models come with storage options of 128/256/512GB, plus there is a whopping 1TB option too.
- There's a new display on the iPhone 13 Pro series called ProMotion that adjusts refresh rate between 10Hz-120Hz, and it's designed to respond dynamically.
- A new telephoto camera features a lens with 3x optical zoom and a 6-element ultra-wide lens that captures more light for a 2.2x low light improvement.
- There is a new macro capability which is capable of extreme close-up photography, and all cameras now feature Night mode.
- The notch is 20 percent smaller, and there's a textured matte glass on the back.
- The iPhone 13 Pro/Max comes with a bigger battery for longer endurance. The Pro is rated for 1.5 hours longer and the Pro Max 2.5 hours longer.
- Incredibly, the A15 Bionic chip promises graphics that offer 50% better performance than competing phones (rated).
- Apple’s new Super Retina XDR display supports up to 1,000 nits for better outdoor brightness.
- Color options available are graphite, gold, silver and new sierra blue.
Main upgrades explained
The main changes this year focus on the cameras, the A15 Bionic chip and the ProMotion display. All in all, the iPhone 13 seems to offer quite a bit more than its predecessor, the iPhone 12.
A major advantage of the Pro model is its 3x optical zoom lens, this is a notable edge over the standard iPhone 13 model. This gives a lot of flexibility in the photography options of the iPhone 13, and is a significant advantage over the competition. In addition, the wider lenses allow more light to be captured for improved results in low-light shooting. Furthermore, a new cinematic video mode that offers movie-like video recording can change focus as the subject being filmed moves.
Finally a smaller notch. The iPhone’s infamous notch which contains the earpiece, front-facing camera, and Face ID has been noticeably reduced in size on the iPhone 13 by about 20%. This offers more space at the top of the screen and a sleeker look. The screen is again featuring Apple’s Ceramic Shield for additional protection against damage from drops. Furthermore, all 4 models of the iPhone 13 are IP68-certified for water resistance.
Apple’s latest upgrade to the display of the iPhone see the Pro and Pro Max models feature something called ProMotion, which allows for an adaptive refresh rate of up to 120Hz. This will make iOS 15 feel exceptionally smooth and should offer enhanced experiences in graphic intense applications like photography and gaming. Another feature of the iPhone 13 Pro and Pro Max is the Super Retina XDR display which supports a maximum screen brightness of 1000 nits. This compares with the standard and mini models of the iPhone 13 which feature an 800 nits max. brightness.
The A15 Bionic chip is Apple’s most advanced processor yet. It contains 6 cores, two of which are the new high-powered cores, whilst the other four are more efficient than ever. For gamers, the quad-core GPU in the iPhone 13 and iPhone 13 mini is perfect for graphically intense use. Apple have gone so far as to claim its GPU is 30% faster than any Android unit.
The iPhone 13 Pro and Pro Max models feature an even better GPU with 5 cores. This is backed up by a claim that Apple say is the fastest GPU ever and runs up to 50% faster than anything the competition has to offer. This along with the significant upgrades in camera capabilities, could offer a Pro or Pro Max user a huge boost in productivity.
Apple have increased the battery capabilities of the iPhone 13 and we can expect to see a 1.5-hour increase in battery life for iPhone 13 mini and Pro models, and a 2.5-hour increase in the standard iPhone 13 and Pro Max model. Furthermore, Apple have gone on to state the the iPhone 13 Pro Max has the longest battery life of any iPhone so far.
So let us know what you think of Apple’s latest iPhone. Are you one of those that’s just itching to get your hands on it, or are you going to make your current smartphone last that bit longer?
A big thank you from us here at the Kovol Blog for dropping by. Don’t forget to check out the Kovol Store for all our latest charging products, including of course, a perfect charger for the new iPhone 13.